Groundbreaking pop-rock band and 2015 She Rocks Award winners The Bangles announced the release of their upcoming album Ladies and Gentlemen… The Bangles! due Thanksgiving Day (November 27, 2014) through their very own label DownKiddie! Records.
Hand-selected by the band members from their personal music archives, the new album is a 16-track collection of re-mastered ’80s-era rarities, demos, live recordings and more, including the Bangles’ debut single and all of the tracks from their self-titled EP (produced by legendary Ramones/Blondie producer Craig Leon) previously unavailable since its initial release on vinyl in 1982.
Encompassing the very first years of the band’s development, from their earliest days as the “Bangs” to their incarnation as the Bangles, the tracks include performances by the Bangles’ founding and current members Susanna Hoffs, Debbi Peterson, and Vicki Peterson, as well as now-retired bassist Michael Steele, and the band’s original bass player Annette Zilinskas.
“We’re so pleased to give our fans and music lovers alike the chance to enjoy the early fruits of our labor. Some of these tracks have never seen the light of day,” said Bangles drummer/singer Debbi Peterson. “We’ve wanted to make these songs available to a new audience for a long time,” added singer/guitarist Vicki Peterson. “We’ve thrown in a couple of live tracks, and even some of the first demos, all lovingly collected and re-mastered, so you no longer have to dig out a cassette player to hear them.”
Singer/guitarist Susanna Hoffs also adds, “I feel a very special connection to our early recordings. The garage of my parents’ house was our musical laboratory, and we took all the flavors of our favorite bands and mixed up a concoction of jangly guitars, McCartney-inspired bass parts, grooves powered by punk energy, and harmonies galore! These songs and recordings were our musical manifesto – all that mattered and inspired us, fueled by youthful energy, hope and blind ambition.”
Ladies and Gentlemen… The Bangles! will be available worldwide on the following digital music outlets: 7Digital, Akazoo, Amazon Music, Anghami, Deezer, eMusic, Google Play, Gracenote, Guvera, iHeartRadio, iTunes, JB Hi-Fi, Juke, KKBox, MediaNet, MixRadio, Muve Music, Neurotic Media, Rdio, Revibe, Rhapsody, Shazam, simfy, Slacker, Sony Music Unlimited, Spinlet, Spotify, Target Music, VerveLife, Wimp, Xbox Music, and Yandex.
Check out the track listing below, and visit the Bangles’ website here for more information.
1. Bitchen Summer/Speedway (The Bangles/Rodney On The Roq: Volume 3, 1982 – S. Hoffs/D. Roback)
2. Getting Out of Hand (The Bangs/debut single A-side, 1981 – V. Peterson)
3. Call on Me (The Bangs/debut single B-side, 1981 – S. Hoffs/V. Peterson/ D. Roback)
4. The Real World (The Bangles EP, 1982 – S. Hoffs/V. Peterson)
5. I’m in Line (The Bangles EP, 1982 – D. Peterson/V. Peterson/S. Hoffs)
6. Want You (The Bangles EP, 1982 – V. Peterson)
7. Mary Street (The Bangles EP, 1982 – S. Hoffs/V. Peterson)
8. How is the Air Up There? (The Bangles EP, 1982 – S. Duboff/A. Kornfeld)
9. Outside Chance (unreleased demo, 1981 – W. Zevon)
10. Steppin’ Out (unreleased demo, 1981 – M. Lindsay/Paul Revere & The Raiders)
11. The Real World (unreleased demo, 1981 – S. Hoffs/V. Peterson)
12. Call on Me (unreleased demo, 1981 – S. Hoffs/V. Peterson/D. Roback)
13. Tell Me (live performance, Dingwalls London, 1984 – S. Hoffs/V. Peterson)
14. 7 & 7 Is (live performance, The Palace, Hollywood, 1984 – A. Lee)
15. No Mag Commercial (The Bangles, 1982)
16. The Rock & Roll Alternative Program theme song (The Bangles, 1982)