By Laura B. Whitmore
The Women’s International Music Network rocked the House of Blues Anaheim on Friday night with the sixth annual She Rocks Awards. Hosting a star studded array of honorees that included Melissa Etheridge, Kate Pierson & Cindy Wilson of The B-52s, Exene Cervenka of X and members of the pioneering all-girl band Fanny, the evening also honored many women from behind the scenes, includes members of the musical instrument community, educators, label execs and more.
The evening also featured performances by a variety of pros that included the Command Sisters, who delivered an inspiring B-52s medley, and the premiere of the new song “Just a Girl,” that was performed along with a moving video, delivering the message that girls can dream big. Laura B. Whitmore, the founder of the WiMN not only co-hosted along with Kat Corbett of LA radio station KROQ, she also stepped up to perform along with a large ensemble that included the house band of touring pros, Rock Sugah.
The rousing finale brought members of Fanny, The B-52s, Melissa Etheridge and performers Olivia Rox, Jenna Paone, Laura Clapp and Sabrina Lentini together to deliver an all-out performance of “Respect.” The song, made famous by Aretha Franklin, but written by Otis Redding (whose daughter, Karla Redding-Andrews was also honored during the event), was an energetic ending to a truly inspiring and moving evening.
The full list of honorees includes:
• Pat Benatar, four-time GRAMMY® Award-winning artist
• Melissa Etheridge, Grammy® Award- and Academy® Award-winning artist
• The B-52s Katie Pierson & Cindy Wilson, original members of one of the most beloved party rock bands of all time
• Karla Redding-Andrews, Executive Director for The Otis Redding Foundation
• Exene Cervenka, vocalist for the iconic punk band, X
• Amberly Crouse-Knox, Senior Director, Creative and Business Development, BMG Production Music
• Jean Millington Adamian, June Millington, Brie Howard Darling, Patti Quatro Ericson and Alice de Buhr of the pioneering all-female American rock band, Fanny
• Candace Stewart, Studio Manager, EastWest Studios in Hollywood
• Dawn Birr, Channel Manager for the Americas, Sennheiser Business Solutions
• Fabi Reyna, Founder and Editor of She Shreds Media
• Vanessa Mering, Marketing Manager, HARMAN Professional
• Kristy Porter, Guitar Center’s Director of Merchandising, General Accessories & Media
• Divinity Roxx, bassist and solo artist